Saturday, September 11, 2010

4 on 4 The Final Tally

Drum Roll Please.......$483.79.  In a word UNBELIEVABLE!  Going to keep doing this because 1.  It helps financially 2. Its a more respectful approach to food.  3.  Less waste  4.  It requires me to be very inventive to keep from getting super bored.  Will continue to post on this and if August comes in on budget I going to jump for joy!

The last week of the challenge was really about simplicity.  I grilled some chicken, turned the leftovers into chicken salad (yeah I know I already did that this month but everyone liked it), repeated the shiskabob and mushrooms from an earlier post, salads, baked sweet potatoes, grilled corn.  PEACHES...oh my they are so good right now!! Pinto Beans, Black Eyed Peas, Hummus several different ways.   Stir fry.  My stir fry is seriously easy.  Meat,(or not, in my case) frozen Baby Broccoli Blend with the edamame beans in it, a bag of carrot shreds, a bag of broccoli slaw, ginger, garlic, onion. (you can pretty much throw in  any vegetable you have floating around.  The more the merrier) Roll it around in a wok, sauce it with 1/3 cup soy sauce mixed with a 12 oz bottle of beer, some 5 spice blend, a little corn starch, voila!  Serve it on rice or roll it up in a tortilla with a little hoisin sauce spread on the wrap (mu shu cappy!)

August will be an odd month.  Caylyn goes back to school.  (Did you hear that teeny sob escaping my heart?) So while long term the food budget will go down, I'll be stocking her up AND fixing all her favorites right before she leaves so she'll have a crumb trail to follow when she wants to come home.  Bryn will be gone the first couple of weeks on an adventure in the wilds of Minnesota and if she doesn't get eaten by a bear (ask her, its a theme in our house) she'll probably roll in here hungry for some mama cooking.  Always happy to oblige!

Brian and I will KBO (google what Churchill said to King George about the war effort) and life will settle back in.

Be well, my friends

No comments:

Post a Comment