Wednesday, August 18, 2010

4 on 4 Week 2

RECIPE POST: Week 2 has come and gone and the original bill was slightly under a $100 which was amazing.  I only spent $45 at the grocery store, the rest at Sam's or the farmers market.  It ended up being a little more than 135 because my eldest ended up in the emergency room with enough stomach acid to eat through metal and has to modify her diet to keep from getting an ulcer, so I had to buy some additional items.  Still, for the 2 weeks, I'm only 75 over which is a HUGE deal, especially when you consider that I'm including in the money the things I bought to fix for the party we went to on the 10th.

If you go to the grocery store, Harris Teeter, in this case, about 20 minutes before they close, all those delicious roasted chickens have been reduced for quick sale and one that would have cost you $7 at 5pm costs 4.  I bought a couple of those.  It was World Cup Championship weekend and the teams my husband and youngest were pulling for played in the finals, so we had a celebration cook out.  I've been working quite a bit this week so dinner has been more on the fly than I'd have liked but I did grill a bunch of chicken thighs, made some black bean salad, chicken salad, grilled hamburgers, hotdogs, corn and Morningstar chicken patties - the "griller" ones are really tasty http://morningstarfarms.com/products_grillers-chikn-veggie-patties.aspx, and we've been nibbling off of that and salad all week.  This next week's grocery bill I think is going to be super low because I'm all caught up on staples and meat.  So we'll see.

Here are some fun things for you to play with.

Chicken Salad
1 Whole roasted chicken, meat pulled off the bones and chopped (use the carcass to make stock!)
1/2 big red onion minced
3 stalks celery, minced
1 tea garlic powder
2 T dried parsley
Lots of black pepper
DUKE'S Mayonnaise (there's only one mayonnaise in my world!)
Mix everything together.  Makes a really nice chicken salad.  When ever you cook chicken you should always cook a few extra pieces to turn into chicken salad.  Its a big hit in my house!  NOW, when I make this vegetarian, I substitute the chicken for these wonderful WONDERFUL delight soy chicken pieces they sell at Earthfarehttp://www.delightsoy.com/ If you haven't tried them, you should.  They are high in fat, its true, but these are the best I've found on the market both in taste and texture.  Use a pound  to a pound and a half chopped in the above recipe.  I also use nayonnaise instead of Dukes (hear that little wistful sigh - I really really love and miss Duke's mayo) which everyone in my family will eat when I veganize some favorite dish.

Hot Dog "Filli"  (Meaning fake chili)
1 lb veggie "beef" crumbles
1 16 oz can tomato sauce
4 TB chili powder
1 TB garlic powder
1 tea onion powder
1/4 Texas Pete wing sauce.
Cook it all together.  Has a nice kick to it and let's you have "Carolina" burgers - chili, slaw, onions and mustard - if you're a vegetarian.

Slaw - Cabbage, Nayonnaise, Cider Vinegar, Stevia, Lots of black pepper.  Sort out your own proportions but maybe a big head of cabbage 3/4 cup of mayo (I don't like mine soupy) 1/4 vinegar 1 - 2 packets of stevia.

Black Bean Salad
2 Cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 Cans White Corn, rinsed and drained
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 lb plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 bunch cilantro, minced

Mix all together and while the rice is still hot, dress

Dressing
1/2 cup good quality olive oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 TB each chili powder, cumin
1 TB garlic powder
1/2 tea onion powder
Red Pepper flakes and Salt to taste.

Makes enough for an army. This is a HUGE hit at parties and because it doesn't have Mayo in it, is fairly durable at a summer picnic.  Its also a great veggie fajita/burrito stuffer.  Complete protein, colorful and cheap, what more do you need!

1 comment:

  1. thank you for the recipes, as usual, they sound delicious! you are an inspiration cappy: working, taking care of your family, taking care of the food shopping (budget and all) and taking care of YOURSELF on top of it all. it's wonderful! (not to mention taking the time to write this blog, thank you!)

    ReplyDelete